Mike Stokes has spent the better part of two decades designing, building, teaching, and writing about sustainable living systems.
He focuses on discovering and utilizing local sustainable materials, coaching environmentalist and creating local self reliance.
Mike currently lives with his partner Kristin, their 5 landmates, 2 goats, 16 chickens and 2 ducks on their micro farm in Monte Rio, CA where they continually work to enhance life by designing and building systems that grow as much of food, produce as much energy and utilize as much regional sustainable materials as they can.
Jump to a section
- California Contractors License # 934358
- Certified Green Building Professional (Sonoma State University)
Lush Planet Sustainable Design, Consulting and Building,Owner 2005-present
Established and manage a design, consulting and building operation, focused on small sustainable residential remodel projects. Current Client-Western Pacific Solar.
Codding Enterprises Sustainability Program Manager 2007 April-July
Reporting directly to the Chief Sustainability Officer. Duties: maintain ongoing relationships with environmental and community groups, manage various sustainable elements of project with consultants and staff, work on initial design proposals, prepare LEED documentation, create Sustainable Specifications Manual, manage interns and administer many other day to day tasks. Contact Geof Syphers CSO Codding Enterprises 707-795-3550 x135
Stokes Sustainable BuildersOwner2004-2005
Environmentally Friendly wood flooring company. Established and ran a company installing FSC certified floors and refinishing existing wood floors using low VOC wood finishes
Sutton DesignOperations Manager1998.
Manage all aspects of custom interiors business 1 year. Carpenter 2000-2004 work on a wide range of projects, from remodels to specialty fabrication, to water sculpture creation. Contact Ray Sutton 310-710-7589
Paul Ford ConstructionCarpenter2004-2006
Remodels, windows and doors. Contact. Paul Ford 310-452-3673
Luminous LandscapingProject Manager1997-1998
Mange large residential landscaping projects managing large Spanish speaking crews. Contact John Macy. Deceased
Assist the lead carpenter in building pre-cast concrete forms for large scale parking structure.
- Building Performance Institute (BPI) Energy Efficiency Training 2008-2009
- Sonoma State University Green Building Program 2006-2007
- Pacific Energy Center. Ongoing Seminar Series. 2005- 2009 Energy Efficient Building and Design. Building Performance Certified Professional Program.
- The Solar Living Institute: Grid tied solar energy system design for residential applications.
- Santa Rosa Junior College Architecture and Construction Tech program, Alternative Fuels Program, Sustainable Agriculture 2005- 2007
- UC Berkeley Degree Political Science with highest honors with an emphasis on the economic development of newly industrializing countries. 1989-91
- Landmark Education 1996-2005 biweekly studies in Personnel Management, Communication, Business Development and Business Consulting
- Santa Rosa Junior College Automotive Technology program Electrical emphasis 1992-93
- Santa Monica College. Transfer to UC, Emphasis on Economics and Politics. Completed highest level of applied mathematics.1985-89
- Santa Monica High School California Proficiency Exam 1983-85
Sonoma County Green Building Resources Web Page.. view at http://sonomagreenbuildresources.typepad.com
20 articles in Yogi Times Contact www.yogitimes.com for details.
“The Sustainable Economic Development of newly Industrializing Nations: A case Study” Thesis from UC Berkeley. A study of Economic Activity in emmerging countries. This initial interest has transformed into sustainable economic activity. Available upon request
UCLA and many Los Angeles Yoga Studios. 2000- 2005. Yoga instructor and seminar leader
Landmark Education: 1997-2005 Lead introductions to the Landmark Forum; manage seminar productions, and manage volunteers
Alternative Research and Training
Boulder Outdoor Survival School, 1995. 27 day wilderness survival training, team leadership, primitive structure design and building, wilderness navigation, primitive living skills, wild edibles,
Tom Brown Jr. Wilderness Survival School 1995, Basic wilderness training, native edibles, wildlife awareness and survival skills.
Omega Institute 1995. Intern 1 summer, various workshop duties and studies including, meditation, yoga, qi gong, natural foods, alternative healing
Vippassana Meditation 1995-2004 1000 hours of meditation training
United States Green Building Council, Redwood Chapter. Member
Descends of the Earth. A non-profit dedicated to the preservation of Native American culture and made accessible to all. Community Member.
Occidental Arts and Ecology Center. Supporting Community Member.
Ocean Song. Community Member
- Green Building
- Renewable energy
- Sustainable agriculture
- Sustainable transportation
- Global politics
- Indigenous culture
- Wilderness survival
- Cultural anthropology
- Comparative religion
- Maps and travel